When the game is over, your points are calculated by getting all your launched weapons in orbit (including Space Ship and Military Bases) multiplied by the total number of asteroids destroyed multiplied by the amount of waves survived or if it is in Infinite Mode then it will not calculate the waves. The difficulty set in the game will be calculated as well, if Easy then half of points will be divided off and if its in Hard then the points will be multiplied by 2 and if Normal then your points are the same. The Defense Rating is calculated by getting the last 10 high scores. Tip: You need a very high score to start increasing your Defense Rating.
The game offers 3D View, 2D View and Fullscreen View. We wanted to offer something that is not done regularly in the game industry and that is to offer different perspectives so that the player can have different styles when playing. Fullscreen View is the same as First or Third Person view and is usually used when manually controlling your satellites, missiles and ships. 2D View is intended to offer the classic bird eye view as it is a new feature, the advantages in 2D View are mainly seeing the planets and asteroids from a distance. Also, being able to prioritize an asteroid on being destroyed by a satellite. 3D View is the main feature because it offers more features currently. In 3D View you can buy and launch weapons, upgrade systems, radar and shield control. Currently, no matter what you choose, 3D View will always be used. Looking at this game from a year away it'll be considered in beta.
Defense Factory Store (the Shop):
The most important feature is the shop because it is where you will buy your satellites and space ship. The shop uses money or research points as currency. Side A of the Shop is where you will purchase everything and Side B is where you convert your research points for money.
Note: The conversion rate for Research Points to Cash is around $ 7-9 Million/ RP.
Launching a Satellite:
When buying a satellite, you will be asked to choose a specific planet to launch to. By Default, every satellite will be automatically selected to orbit Earth but it can be easily changed when purchasing.
There are over a dozen different kinds of satellites. You will have a button in 3D View called Satellites, this is where every launched satellite is listed with the assigned id and icon. Clicking on the icon will focus the Camera View on the Satellite to Manually Control or edit the Satellite. You can also enter a Satellites View by clicking on the Satellite in 2D View. Majority of all Satellites will have a control panel inside the Fullscreen View to change settings.
From weapons like the Dual Plasma satellite which shoots plasma shots at asteroids automatically with AI or in manual control, to another satellite like the Mobile Lab which collects Research Points automatically to even a Gravity Modifier satellite which will slow down the incoming asteroids. Notice where strategy comes in to play, would you rather buy and launch several plasma shooting satellites or buy a Laser satellite with an Object Tracker satellite to unlock asteroid tracking, which will help you when taking manual control of a satellite in Fullscreen View and in 2D View.
List of Satellites:
- Dual Plasma: Able to shoot 2 plasma shots at enemy targets. AI Auto Aim can be improved in the Upgrade Section for the Military Base.
- Quad Plasma: Able to shoot 4 plasma shots at enemy target. AI Auto Aim can be improved in the Upgrade Section for the Military Base.
- Energy Converter: Able to automatically convert Mined Energy to Shield Energy and vice versa. Enter the control panel in the satellites Fullscreen View. Tip: Have multiple Core and Asteroid Miners to help keep the Shield running nonstop.
- Object Tracker: Enables detailed tracking for Fullscreen and 2D View. Able to track the distance and direction of the asteroid.
- Mobile Lab: Automatically collects Research Points when available. Tip: Sell Research Points in Defense Factory (the Shop, side B)
- Core Miner: Collects energy from a Planet's or Moon's core to storage, destablizing the core in the process. Most Efficient: Mars.
- Core Stabilizer: Uses collected energy in storage to help stablize and repaire a destablizing core. Most Efficient: Earth.
- Gravity Modifier: Able to slow down the incoming asteroids. Each satellite adds more anti gravity particles.
- Asteroid Miner: Collects energy from asteroids to store and destroys the asteroids in the process.
- Missile Launcher: Automatically targeting and launching missiles from satellite, same damage as ground missiles.
- Heliobeam: Uses the Sun's energy as a energy source, reflects Sun's energy through a laser beam to be able to destroy asteroids.
- Red Laser: Has it's own energy source to be able to create a level 1 plasma laser beam to destroy asteroids.
- Blue Laser: Has it's own energy source to be able to create a level 2 plasma laser beam.
- Green Laser: Has it's own energy source to be able to create a level 3 plasma laser beam. Strongest.
Worthy for several reasons. An Active Military Base is required. Only 1 Space Ship is allowed currently in Arcade Mode at a time, if the Space Ship is destroyed, the Military Base will keep spawning it. It is the only tool so far that can be used to unlock the other planets to be able to launch weapons on them. Capable of shooting plasmas with a dual cannon and move around freely with its Anti-Gravity generator but beware of over heating the engine. Ship Hanger is in the Active Military Base.
A ground missile contains a nuclear bomb inside. Compared to the size to the size of the asteroid you might need 2 missiles to fully destroy a large asteroid and ususlly 1 for a small asteroid. Launches from the Active Military Base.
Military Base - Control Panel:
You need 3D View enabled to see the floating icon on top of the military base. Clicking on the icon will ask you to open the panel or also, by double clicking on a Military Base or even an Asteroid. After you will see the options to collect Research Points or to control the Ground Missile Launch.
Note: The icon will have difficuly opening if attempting to click from far away. You can also double click on the Military Base.
To improve your existing systems and weapons, clicking on Upgrade View in 3D View will allow you to do so. If the camera is focused on a Satellite and you open the upgrade panel, you can change the satellites orbit direction, speed and distance from the orbiting planet. If the camera is focused on any other planet including the Moon and Earth, it will show the upgrade panel for Earth and it's Military Base and the Shield control center on Earth.
Note: On the side bar of the Upgrade Panel, while on a Satellite, you have the option to Update Earth as well.
Protecting the Earth with a force field of energy is a very beautiful experience. When enabled, the shield has a limited supply of energy in storage, make sure to use it wisely. There are upgrades for the shield, for example there are recharging abilities and expanded storage. The Shield and Upgrade panel will be very handy in helping you reach a high score. A great tip is to always have a minimum of 1 Energy Converting Satellite helping you in filling up the Shield Energy Storage.
A tracking panel focused on Earth to locate your Space Ship, Satellites, Military Base, and Missiles. Upgrade it for a greater tracking distance and faster refresh rate.
A panel to allow you to switch the Camera Focus View between the Earth, the Moon, Mars, Mercury and Venus. The sun will overheat your Space Ship engines and burn the Satellites.
Need more money? Sell the satellite for parts and destroy the rest. You will receive 30% of the original cost of the same satellite.
A panel on showing you every information that the game is collecting in your session currently. Monitor the game timer, money balance, shield energy storage, mined energy storage, defense rating, high score, Earth's health, total number of satellites, human population, asteroids destroyed, research points, and etc with more to come.
A contract will reward you with money and teach you how to complete your task step by step. Basically a mini tutorial to reward you with money in every game session in Arcade mode. When you play Defending Earth for the first time, the first contract will start for you automatically teaching you how to launch a Satellite. More contracts will continue to be added but currently 6 contracts exist in Arcade mode.
Fast Forward Button:
Pressing this button will obviously skip time by a factor 2x, if clicked again then a factor of 4x and if clicked once more then it is reseted back to a normal factor of 1x.
Opening and Closing Panels in game:
When you click a button to open a panel, you will see a line on top of the button showing that the panel is open and being displayed. If you click that button again, the panel will close and so will the indicating line.
Currently, the only game modes available are.
- Arcade Mode with Infinite Waves. The game will continue until you lose or you quit the game. Also, until your computer or mobile device can handle the hundreds (even thousands) of asteroids being thrown at you.